Friday, February 10, 2012

Stirring emotions through music

When I wrote my first novel, I often listened to music. Actually, some of my best scenes were written while listening to the music that inspired them. Because I'm constantly running from one place to another, I pop CDs in the car and inevitably stories start spinning in my head as I drive to and from work. Does anyone else do that too? Because I do it ALL the time. Or when I'm in the shower. Ideas flow out of me like the jet stream from the shower head.

A few years ago I met a talented pop violinist on the streets of Los Angeles as he performed music that blew me away. Josh Vietti (he told me his father is of Italian origin!) mixes hip hop and rock to create a unique genre of violin music. I love the sound of the violin so Vietti's music really captured my attention. I listened to his album all the way back home to Montreal--my mind having a field day with story ideas--and introduced it to my then 6 year old son who was inspired to take violin lessons and has continued since then. Thank you, Josh!

With his trademark black T-shirt and baseball cap, Josh's unpretentious manner is so appealing in an artist. I'm always attracted to authors who are the same way. Unpretentious that is, no baseball cap required.

Check Vietti out in this music medley video. I promise you'll be impressed...



 What music inspires you to write stories in your head?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    Indeed, this young man is talented. What an inspiration! His music sent shivers down my spine while listening to it. I love how he fused the sounds of a classical instrument with modern rhythms. Amazing! Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although classically trained he has created a new genre that appeals to all ages. I love that! I hope to do that with my next novel. Thanks for visiting, Claudia.

      Delete
  2. Laura,
    This young violin player is impressive indeed! He's skilled and had an original idea. I hope someone big notices him out there!
    You were right, we both got inspired by music this week!
    Thank you for sharing this lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was on the Ellen DeGeneres show not too long ago and has played with some big name artists.

      Delete
  3. Thankyou for sharing this video, I am adding it to my favourites straight away.
    Your kind words on News From Italy are much appreciated. We are coping ok as we have some experience of snowy conditions but the locals are finding it hard as they have not experienced such weather since 1985!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to call my aunt in Rome to see how she's faring. I love your blog because it keeps me in touch with what's happening in Italy.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic, Laura! Wayne and I LOVED the music of John Vietti. Did know that he also does podcasts? Check out some of the subjects.

    ReplyDelete